Our family

Our family

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

On Burdens Being Made Light

In Mosiah 24 there is a great story on this subject:

           King Laman was being a task master over the people of Alma. "And it came to pass that so great were their afflictions that they began to cry mightily to God." Until, that is, gaurds were placed about them to ensure they did not pray. 

           So instead they:
"did pour out their ahearts to him; and he did know the bthoughts of their hearts. And it acame to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs"
        And the reason for this ease of burden? Yes, there is a purpose more so than giving them a break... "this will I do that ye may stand as bwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions." 

      Now, application in my life. I prayed *really* hard on Sunday. I had a heart to heart with the Lord, and told him of *all* my many afflictions, and asked for a miracle. The miracle was not a tremendous thing, D did not cease to ruin my life, my divorce did not magically come, my school work did not magically go away, and in fact Baby Nod got sick. However, I feel the ease of burden that the Lord promised Alma's people.
 "And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did astrengthen them that they could bear up their bburdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with cpatience to all the will of the Lord."
So, my next step? Submitting cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord. Easier said than done, but I do believe I can do so. Happiness comes from within, and as I do the will of the Lord, peace will come even amidst the chaos. and then, maaaaybe, one day...
"And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.
          Until then, I will stand as a witness that I know of a surety that the Lord God, does visit His people in their afflictions. 

        Another good scripture on the subject is found in Mosiah 18 when Alma begins baptising people in the waters of mormon. Those who are baptised are desirous to 
"come into the bfold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light, Yea, and are awilling to mourn with those that bmourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as cwitnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death,"
          So perhaps that is partially how God helped ease Alma's people's burdens. They helped out one another. That is partially how I find solitude. Sometimes from my Mom washing my dishes, or a sister in the ward helping me unpack, or the phone calls and emails of really awesome friends.

       Another two neat references I found that I'll leave for you to look up so this blog post isnt too long... Alma 33:23, Matthew 11:30.

:D Enjoy, and may your burdens be lightened as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment